Our mission is to support public media organizations nationwide in engaging their communities. By engagement, we mean working collaboratively to discover, understand, and address community needs and aspirations.
We support public media by providing resources for stations and producers to engage citizens across multiple platforms (on air, online, and in person), build sustainable community relationships, and stimulate citizen participation.
The National Center for Media Engagement supports and strengthens public media as community institutions that are essential to a healthy democracy. In service of this vision, we provide leadership, guidance, and resources, experiment with new technologies, identify best practices, and create and deliver community engagement initiatives on every platform.
Services We Provide
An online portal of community engagement knowledge, resources and links
- Resources include public media maps, stories of impact, an online planning tool and a common grant application, as well as a station directory and hands-on tools to engage citizens
- Outcomes assessment tools to gauge community impact and station investment
- Peer-to-Peer Network, including regularly scheduled webinars by fellow public media professionals on timely and/or cutting-edge topics
- Pipeline, Pipeline Plus, and an annual videoconference to access engagement initiatives
- Coaching and consultation from our staff to help you strategize and problem solve
For National Content Producers & Initiatives
Partnerships for Learning
- Grants administration and management through our online tool
- Promotion and system-wide communications
- Coaching and technical assistance in rolling out a national initiative
- Professional development assistance
Customized Fee-Based Services
- Assessment and survey development (including online tool design and construction)
- Partnership management
- Community engagement research and development
- Overall project management of community engagement endeavors