IS THERE A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN OUTREACH AND ENGAGEMENT?
Good question. Public broadcasting has a long tradition of reaching out to, and engaging, audiences. Yet many people use the terms “outreach” and “engagement” interchangeably.
But there are some important distinctions.
is a mechanism for delivering value-added content.
- Is an extension of an organization’s core service.
- Is primarily one-way, like broadcast.
- Involves talking to people.
- Means approaching an audience or community with answers.
- Focuses on educating people.
- Can be a productive part of an engagement strategy.
means collaboratively addressing community concerns.
- Is integrated with an organization’s culture, strategy and practices.
- Requires building ongoing, two-way relationships based on trust and authenticity.
- Involves listening to people.
- Means working with the community to mutually identify solutions.
- Focuses on a conversation — an ongoing dialogue to develop understanding.